Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Blog #7: Six-Word Memoirs

A memoir is an account of one’s life and experiences.  Rather than presenting an overview of one’s whole life, the memoir focuses on one slim section of one’s life and experiences.  The story can be told chronologically, but events do not need to be recounted in the order in which they have occurred.

An autobiography, unlike a memoir, is defined as a written work about someone’s own life, which gives an overview of the author’s entire life.  Therefore, autobiographies are meant to cover all aspects of someone’s life.

William Zinsser says this about the memoir genre, “The writer of a memoir takes us back to a corner of his or her life that was unusually vivid or intense … By narrowing the lens, the writer achieves a focus that isn’t possible in autobiography; memoir is a window into a life.”

Lisa Dale Norton feels, “Memoir involves the whittling away of a whole lot of stuff that you have lived and a focusing on one slim section, full of power, that demands to be told.”

A memoir can be any length.  It should be honest and reflect your individual voice.

In 2008, a book entitled Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six Word Memoirs by Writers Famous & Obscure (edited by Smith magazine) was published.  The book is a compilation of hundreds of six-word memoirs that were submitted to the book’s publisher.  Not Quite What I Was Planning remained on The New York Times best seller list for six weeks. 

This book demonstrates that:
Ø  Everyone has a story to tell!
Ø  It doesn’t take a lot of words to communicate emotion and ideas.

Here are some examples of six-word memoirs:

Awkward girl takes chances.  Fun ensues. – Charlotte Riley

I auditioned.  I got the part.  –Faith Hoffman

Never lived up to my potential. –Leslie Sterling

Carbohydrates call my name every day. –Mary Petersdorf

Anything possible—but I was tired. –Cheryl Family

Learned reading, writing, forgot arithmetic. –Elizabeth Rose Gruner

Time heals all wounds?  Not quite.  –Jonathan Miles

Bad brakes discovered at high speed. –Paul Schultz


Your job is to write three six-word memoirs that represent you:  one for your past, one for your present, one for your future.  Be sure to label each.  This blog is due Wednesday, December 6th. 

17 comments:

  1. Past:
    I do not understand what’s happening.
    Present:
    Why’d you do this to me?
    Future:
    They speak truth; ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Past: Trip often. Always get back up.
    Present: Always focus on the little things.
    Future: Eliminate the worries. Focus on happiness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Past: School was so much easier then.
    Present: Yikes, school is now way harder.
    Future: I don't want to imagine college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Past: I worried about what others think.
    Present: What’s so important about impressing them?
    Future: Take advantage of what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Past:Trying is good enough for me.
    Present:Just finish your work on time.
    Future: Do everything to your best ability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Past: Wow learning is so much fun.
    Present: Will we use this in life?
    Future: I will learn things that apply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Past: Constant anticipation for what will happen.
    Present: Waiting for the next big thing.
    Future: Enjoying everything in the present moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Past:I thought high school was going to be a walk in the park; I was painfully mistaken.
    Present: Goats always meant a lot to me, but now they mean a lot more.
    Future: My goat farm will be the best. Seether Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Past: I want to stay up forever
    Present: I want to sleep, right now *at noon*
    Future: Why won't you go to sleep little children?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Past:
    Life is super easy right now
    Present:
    I wish I could change things
    Future:
    I have died of old age.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Past: Caring about things beyond my control.
    Present: Learning to accept my current life.
    Future: Searching for my pursuit of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Past: She came after I was alone
    Present: Found peace within Faith and Music
    Future: Strive to find what makes happiness

    ReplyDelete
  13. Past: I must always do my best.
    Present: It is okay if I mess up.
    Future: Be happy for everyone's individual success.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Past: Tiny seed springing forth into life.
    Present: Rooted tree. Grounded. Bearing fruit. Growing tall.
    Future: Old. Tall. Shading. Fruitful. Still growing!

    ReplyDelete

  15. Past: I worried about what people thought.

    Present: I consider what my wants first.

    Future: I will pass that message on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Past: I want to be the best
    Present: I'm getting better
    Future: I am the best I can be

    ReplyDelete
  17. Past: That doesn't matter, it's not important.

    Present: I need to appreciate things more.

    Future: Appreciate all of the little things.

    ReplyDelete