Friday, November 3, 2017

Blog #4: Unplugged

Click on the following link and read the short article from Huffington Post.



After reading the article, do you see the importance or value of "unplugging" in today's society? Explain your reasoning. What do you currently do to "unplug" from the world, and what benefits do you get from doing so?

This blog post is due on Wednesday, November 8th, and must be at least 150 words. Include a word count with your response.

19 comments:

  1. Young people spend way too much time absorbed in our electronics. I think it would be beneficial for all of us to take time to get away from our electronic devices and enjoy the company of others or the outside world. Many kids these days spend their time watching T.V., playing videogames, or playing on their smart phones. When I was younger, we went outside to play instead of hiding inside. But as I have gotten older, it is harder and harder for me and others my age to get away from electronics. I believe, with so many electronic devices surrounding us, people are losing communication skills and valuable relationships because they are relying on texting and social media to stay in contact and to form bonds. Every now and then, my brother and I go camping. These camping trips involve us leaving our cell phones at home and enjoying the great outdoors.
    W.C. 153

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not see the importance of “unplugging” even after reading this article. This argument has saturated young people’s mind since the day the first television set came out. I think technology is beneficial to everyday life and I personally believe there is no reason to drop the electronics besides talking face to face with someone who is important to you. I believe it is important to share a conversation without your eyes peeled on to your phone, but if I am doing nothing at all, bored at home, what is the point? The lengthy list of activities to do in the meantime are good for you, but they are not essential for everyday life. What I am doing on my phone is gaining knowledge at all times, in one way or another. I am either reading or communicating, by which I learn about others and current events. My phone is aiding me, my electronics are aiding me. My electronics are helpful and make me happy, so why would I need to give that up to watch the sunset or dance.
    WC: 181

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is very important to ‘unplug’ yourself from technology so you can enjoy certain things in your life. For example, if you go somewhere like a concert and try to get videos of everything you really aren’t paying attention to the actual performance, only your phone. I think that it is important to separate ourselves from technology because it can improve our health and we can enjoy the little things in life. Some things that I do to get away from technology is to go out and play with my goats. They are very high maintenance creatures that need a lot of time and love for them to prosper. I could easily spend half my day outside with them either playing or just sitting down with them for a friendly pet. Activities like these have taught me to be more patient and helped me relax in very stressful times in life.

    W.C. 154

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unplugging is very important in today’s technology driven world. Many kids simply just can’t get away and it negatively affects their life, mental health, social life, and even sleep. Technology is certainly useful but it should not be consuming you’re everyday life. I rely on physical exercise or going to sporting events to get away from technology. Running or playing sports such as basketball and baseball has allowed me to gain a healthier mind and also help my body function properly. In today’s world, kids are getting too big and I would be the first to tell you there is no way they are getting obese off soft drinks or the food they eat. They are getting obese because they sit in their house and watch TV or play video games all day long, completely ignoring physical activity. Physical activity is crucial to the development of a healthy body. If you ever have kids, do not ignore your kids time spent on electronics. The consequences could be devastating.

    WC: 168

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unplugging from electronics is a good thing to do in today’s world. Everyone is so wrapped up in the negatives of life and don’t take the time to look at all the positive things around us. When people are absorbed in their phones and other technology they lose time to interact with people face to face. Human’s are designed to be social beings, we need social interaction with others. Unplugging yourself is proven to be very beneficial for your health. I like to try and unplug from electronics for at least an hour a couple days a week. In this time I enjoy taking walks. Walking is beneficial because you're getting yourself outdoors and your exercising. I also like to paint and draw when I’m unplugged. When painting and drawing I’m only focusing on my work and not distracted from other thoughts. I have found that when I do draw or paint I feel more relaxed and stress free. When I do these activities the rest of my family usually partakes in the fun. When my family is together it gives us time to catch up on what is happening in our lives and just spend time together as a family.
    W.C. 201

    ReplyDelete
  7. We as people today are so connected to our phone because they have always been around for us to use. The importance of being “unplugged” in today’s society is the we can reconnect with ourselves and others around us. People are so distracted with their phones they don’t even know themselves without it. What kinds of things do the like to do, like painting a pumpkin, cooking food, and even getting so lost into a book that you can’t put it down. My phone has been broken for about a month or two but being without a phone makes be feel like a better person. I’m not always worried about not talking to people or people not talking to me. I have more of my own time to get my homework done and hangout with my family and friends more. I think having a phone for long periods of time it isolates you from your own life.
    WC- 157

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a firm believer that technology is so woven into today's society, that without it the world would not be able to function. Say that a paper supply company didn’t have technology for a day, they would have no idea if clients had questions, new orders, or needed to know where shipments were. While that may be so, it is important to unplug and enjoy life without technology. Ways that I unplug, is by going outside and enjoying nature such as hiking, biking and walking my dog. Unplugging helps me unwind and clear my head. It also helps me think about some problems and come up with a solution. I think it is healthy to have a balance of both technology and unplugged time. However, too much of either is not a good thing. You spend too much time unplugged, you'll fall behind in this ever changing world of technology. If you spend too much time with technology, you’ll miss an entire world.
    WC: 164

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unplugging is very important. Today, young people are glued to technology. If you are constantly glued to your phone, then you are going to miss out on things. Most people hide behind their phones and live their lives through a screen. The people forget how to interact with others face to face. A face to face interaction is so much more beneficial than communicating through technology. Things typically get miscommunicated through technology or the conversation isn’t as meaning as it would have been if it was in person. Nowadays when you go to a restaurant, you see that everyone is on their phones instead of spending quality time with the people they went to the restaurant with. Putting your phone away during this time, gives the person your full attention and it shows that you are listening. I usually put my phone away when doing homework, catching up with family or friends, or when I go out to eat with someone.

    W.C: 161

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our society has become plugged into electronics and social media. It is important that we allow time to unplug from these things and become focused in our surroundings. I believe that if we continually live “in” our electronic devices, our world will fall apart emotionally and physically. At home, my family values family time together and active conversation. This helps me to put away my phone and engage in my surroundings. This doesn’t mean I won’t answer a text message throughout the evening; it just means I’m not absorbed into my phone like a zombie. Activities in my church Single Group also encourages fellowship and time together. These things help me to live in the world around me and not the world within my phone. I believe if we all take time to socialize with the ones we love and be active in our community about us we will all become “unplugged”.
    WC: 152

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading the article, it helped me see the importance as to why people all ages and myself included should unplug. It showed me how much time people actually spend on their phones. You never really hear, or see much about people doing the things listed on the article. What I currently do to unplug from the world is not being on my phone at dinner. I think this actually benefits me a lot, because when you go out you look around and see nearly everyone on their phones. This benefits me, because I get to actually talk to the person/people that I am with. I also get to learn new things about them and learn about their everyday life. Another thing I do to unplug from the world, is shut my phone off during the time I am doing homework. It helps me really concentrate on my homework and I get a lot more done when i shut my phone off, because then I’m not distracted by it.
    W.C. 170

    ReplyDelete
  13. After reading this article I understand that “unplugging” not only benefits people personally but it also benefits their society. It allows them to be connected physically with one another, and prompts them to be curious about their community. By putting down the phone, or getting away from the computer and television screen, people can do activities that improve their health. Many benefits come from not being attached to electronics. I still believe that electronics can be useful in the appropriate situations. I think they make work more efficient but I also believe they can be a distraction. When I “unplug” I leave my phone in a separate room to accomplish my task at hand so I am not distracted. When I am not dependent on my phone, I feel more focused on my tasks or I feel I just pay better attention and retain more details. Technology is a huge benefit to everyday life, but when abused it is a disadvantage.

    WC: 161

    ReplyDelete
  14. In today's society teens and young adults depend on electronics and social media to do everything in their daily lives. Whether it’s directions to the movies or looking up movies times. We depend so much on our phones that we need to unplug from all of the electronics and just enjoy life and what god has given us. Instead of spending hours scrolling through social media we could go on a walk to the park and enjoy the fresh air. I myself am guilty of not unplugging, I enjoy using my phone to listen to music and scrolling through social media but I could go and jump on the trampoline outside or go on a bike ride. One thing I do, do to unplug from the the world is I enjoy camping. My family and I going camping pretty often and it allows me to get out and enjoy spending time with my family and embrace the outdoors. My brother likes to wake up super early in the morning and go fishing so of course he drags me along to keep him company, which allows for me to enjoy my time with him.
    W.C. 193

    ReplyDelete

  15. I see so much value in unplugging, especially in today’s society. Everywhere you go, people are on their phones, downloading the new app, playing the new game, texting friends, whatever it may be. I am part of that on most days, though it is something I wish to improve on. It is so important to focus on the present moment and REAL life, not a virtual world that we all are apart of. It is so important to bring your mind and thoughts back to the world we are living in and not the perfect world that we see through social media. I escape from this by allowing myself an amount of time that I can spend on my phone or socials. I find it especially helpful that if I am spending a surplus of time on a specific app, I delete it for a while to refocus. In the evenings or when I want to do something to unplug, I just shut my phone off and leave it in my room while I do other things. This is a such a great way to stay away from it for a while.

    WC: 192

    ReplyDelete
  16. In today’s society and era, a phone contains any knowledge ever produced, all at the tips of our fingers. While this is a magnificent resource, sometimes we get so caught up in the world of our phones that we forget to look at the world around us. Today, everyone depends on their phones for everything--directions, news, conversations with their loved ones. While it is nice to have the instant gratification that technology brings, sometimes, we should do things the old way--read a map, pick up a newspaper, write a letter. Although sometimes we feel disconnected from the world without our phones, it is okay to take a step back and live without them for a day or two. “Unplugging” can remind us of other aspects of the world that technology cannot capture. In my experience, phones and social media can sometimes be stressful, as I feel compelled to stay on top of my notifications, or post things to people’s approval. Sometimes, I have to take a break from social media for several weeks so I can get back on track with my life. Even though phones are a great innovation, sometimes, we need to take a breath.
    WC: 197

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unplugging is extremely important to me. To many people that I know personally, see unplugging as putting away their phone for a short period of time. My reasoning behind my reasoning is because in my fourth block, natural resource management with Mr. Stadt, there is always at least one or two kids on their phones during class and no matter what the teacher does the kids still won’t stay off their phones. For me to unplug I have to turn off my phone as well as my tv and laptop. And then for the rest of the day I just sit back, unless I have to work then I will leave my phone on, with the volume all the way up in case I have to use it. With me doing this everything seems to become extremely calming. From doing this either every other day or at least on the weekend. Some other benefits from doing this, I can feel refreshed and ready to do the same thing on Monday and be able to go almost the entire week without feeling as if I completely rely on technology for everything in my life.
    WC: 193

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that is important to get off of technology since it is very tiring to do for long periods of time. Some classes that are computer based may be fine, but I think people should not have to deal with using a computer for back to back classes. Getting off the technology is very beneficial to anyone’s health like being happier and healthier while playing with a pet. I usually try to get outside in my free time whether it is driving around in the country or going to my friend’s house and do some entertaining things without technology. This usually makes me feel more relaxed and it’s very enjoyable, and I wish that I had more time to do such things like this every day. This would probably make me a more enjoyable person, since I would interact with nature which I sadly hardly ever do. I always loathe days I cannot go and drive in the country. WC:160

    ReplyDelete
  19. In today's society, revolved around electronics, it is important to “unplug” for a while. Many teenagers today need to take a break from electronics and social media because it can consume their lives. I believe that it could be very beneficial to everyone if they would “unplug” their electronics for a day or even trying to spend less time on them. This could help people work on their social skills. Many times when sitting around a table eating dinner, people are on their phones. One rule at my house is that there are no phones during supper. This encourages us to talk to one each other about our day and what’s going on in our life. It could also benefit your health. By being off your electronics and phone can benefit your sleep and help with your eyes and vision. If today's society is willing to take time off from electronics it could benefit our future as well.

    Word Count: 158

    ReplyDelete