As you leave high school and transition into adulthood, you will find there are some skills you need that you already developed in high school and some new ones, which you will be learning and using for the the first time.
For this blog, I would like each class member to contribute by naming and explaining a life skill (each class member should bring something new to the table).
Your blog post should be no less than 130 words and is due Friday, December 8th.
One life skill we as teenagers have begun to get involved with is shaving. A majority of us do it, there is no shame. It’s a basic life skill we all need. In our culture a clean face or body is formal. So to know how to shave could come in handy. This is a life skill you do not have to practice or utilize often. It is just preferred you know how to do it. Much like tying a tie. The act of shaving is simply lightly take a blade and removing the hair from your body with gentle strokes. There are lots of skin care products out there that you can use to make sure your skin is strong and healthy. There is also products designed to make shaving that much easier, such as electric shavers and creams to apply before and after you start. The older we get, the harder the hair is to maintain. So if you want that formal clean cut, it’s best we learn to take care of our skin and body hair. You will not be judged if you prefer not to shave any part of you, it is merely just a formality.
ReplyDeleteWC: 200
Time management is one skill that I have learned throughout school. School has taught me how to manage my time by setting deadlines for my assignment. In every class I have taken, I had to get a certain amount of work done by a specific date. This helped my time management because when I would wait until last second to do an assignment, I would often get a bad grade but when I got a early start and took my time on my homework, my grade would increase. Having good time management will help me in my future with college and work. College, being just like high school, will have deadlines for homework and projects. My time management will help me get good grades on those assignments. Time management will help me with my job because I will be required to get things done by a certain deadline.
ReplyDeleteWord Count: 148
There are many life skills that we come to obtain as we grow older. Some necessary ones are never achieved by some, and others, with ease. One of these life skills that I feel has a great importance is prioritizing. In highschool, and life in general, we are given 24 hours a day to do a certain number of tasks. We can choose to handle the time wisely, or foolishly. Prioritizing is defined by the merriam-websters dictionary as, “To list or rate (projects, goals, etc.) in order of importance.” In our school years we have to prioritize and juggle our social lives along with homework and for most of us, work. If we prioritize these incorrectly it could result in a bad grade or even the loss of a job, and in the worst case, a friend. Prioritizing is one of the most vital life skills that you can carry with you throughout your entire life. It can help you reach bigger goals and let go of the unimportant trivial things.
ReplyDeleteWC: 175
My life skill: taking things into context. As young children, we lack experience and often believe that every mild inconvenience is the worst thing in our short lives. Although I’ve grown since then, there are times when I think a minor event has completely derailed my life. For example, when I forgot to do the extra credit in my AP US History class last year, I spent two hours crying on my couch, convinced that I had just blown any chance to get into a good college and get a decent job. It turned out not to be the big deal I’d made it out to be, and I thankfully finished the class with an A. From experiences like these, I have learned to consider the context of my mishaps. If I have any advice to give, it is this--it is okay to be upset when things go wrong, but ask yourself: Will this matter in five minutes? In five days? Months? Years? Every single time, I can answer no to at least one of these questions, take a deep breath, and step back. It’s okay.
ReplyDeleteWC 186
Throughout high school I have met so many people and learned so many things about them, some good and others not so good. The one thing that is very crucial to life is team work. Without it people would never be getting things done at work or anywhere in life. There wouldn’t be the Red Cross or even school. Today so many people are working together on things that people a few years ago may not have thought would have ever occurred. For example: withme going to college to become a social worker, I have to be able to have great teamwork skills due to the fact that you have to work hands on with the parents,foster parents, and the children and even then there may be even a few aspects that I just don’t know about. With this skill you are more able to get things done with a much less of a hassle.
ReplyDeleteW.C. 157
As we begin to transition into adulthood, we learn a variety of different skills. One skill that has stood out to me the most is learning how to be a good employee. Once you turn sixteen, the hunt for a job begins. After you get a job, you must learn the basic tasks of that job. Not only that, but you will also have to learn how to be on time and treat customers and your boss with respect. This skill is important because not only will it be used in highschool and early adulthood, it will be used for the rest of our lives. When I got my first job at the library, I learned about what it takes to be a good worker. I can apply this skill into my future. Not every job is going to be the exact same, but some things will be similar.
ReplyDeleteWC: 149
A life skill that I have picked up during high school is the value of hard work. I’ve learned this both through my time during school, but also outside of school as well. With hard work, you can accomplish show many things. If you don’t work hard in your classes or studying for tests, you most likely won’t get a very good grade. Outside of school, you have to be able to work well at your job to make sure that you make your bosses happy. If you didn’t have this skill going into college, it would probably be very hard to graduate from that school. You have to be willing to work hard to pay for that schooling and also making sure that you get your assignments done, or coming in after your classes to understand a certain topic better.
ReplyDeleteW. C. 141
As we chug through our final months of highschool, we can reflect on the many life skills that have been taught. These life skills with be crucial when in college or in the workforce. One life skill that is important to me is to do the things that you love. So many times people hold themselves back from doing something that they love due to what other may think of them. When it comes down to it the opinion that others may have of you are irrelevant. By not doing the things you love you may never know your full potential. You may have a great talent for what you love but you would never know. Don’t care what other people may think of your decision. So when going to college or starting a new job follow what you love.
ReplyDeleteWC 140
While my valuable life skill may seem archaic and somewhat dumb, it's is still valuable nonetheless. I have found that I Am particularly adept at cutting down trees. This is a skill that I would have never in a million years would I think I possessed. For some reason, I just find cutting trees to be almost therapeutic. I am able to not think about anything else but cutting down the tree, and it is very relaxing. I discovered this talent one summer when a tree in our backyard was dying and I was instructed to chop it down. I was a little wear due to my inexperience, but nonetheless I picked up the axe and started swinging. I threw my axe at the trunk with the might of Zeus. I just kept hacking at the tree and in no time at all the tree was down.
ReplyDeleteWC 147
As we all pass on into our own individual pathways of life, I believe there is one skill we must all learn to use and love; that is sharing cheerful comments with a smile. How many times has a simple smile or cheerful comment brightened your entire day? Such positive attitudes help all of us to spread a warm and cheerful attitude to all those we come into contact with. I truly believe that this alone is an extremely powerful influence. It means so much to me to see happiness and cheer spread through the hallways of our school. Yet, even as I wish to see happiness spread, I see our entire society continually becoming more and more wrapped up in their own individual lives. This isn’t helping. So, as we all part from our familiar home of PCHS, let’s spread this positive attitude. I believe it is our duty and a mission that must be accepted.
ReplyDeleteWC: 157
I have developed an exquisite skill during my time in highschool. Mowing lawns has truly become this key skill that I possess. I first learned this skill when one summer afternoon, many sunrises ago, I went out and hopped on the good old riding lawn mower. I began to mow the lawn with careful precision and even decided to make cool shapes such as triangles and circles. The lawn was mowed in record time, approximately a half hour, but also included cool shapes which just added to the attraction of the lawn. Passerbys even noted this beautiful lawn and stopped in to tell me what a great job I had done with the lawn. To this day, my lawn mowing poweress has truly been a key skill in my life. I may one day decide to open my own lawn mowing business called Carter’s Cuts.
ReplyDeleteWC: 145
Through my years in highschool, many things have been brought to my attention. Time management, and prioritizing were learned in the first year. One life skill that took me a while to learn was proper work ethic. This skill is one that will be used from teen years all the way through adult ones and into elder years. Work ethic is an important life skill because if you don’t try your best on your work, the resulting outcome is failure. When maximum effort is put into what you do you receive awards such as good grades, or promotions at your job. If I hadn’t figured out this skill in high school, I would have a tough time in my future. But by starting the proper work ethic now, I can ensure that my future will be not as hard.
ReplyDeleteWC: 139
As you slowly make your way through your last years of school, you are tested with a few things and one of those is friends. You will learn in highschool that some of the people you come into highschool with are sometimes not going to be your friends on the way out. This is on skill you have to develop through growing up, knowing which relationship is good for you and which are bad. You will learn to loss the ones who will harm you in the future and which to gain to support you throughout life. But every friend that you have will have an impact on your life whether it’s positive or negative. It’s your choosing of which ones you think will have a greater impact on your life that is the most important. You need to know which ones you could trust with your secrets of which are the ones who will turn their back on you when things begin to go wrong.
ReplyDeleteW.C. 166
As life seems to grow shorter and we gain knowledge from our experiences there are a few life skills that everyone should try to learn and accept. Listening is a very key skill in the fact that with not listening properly one may fail to grasp the idea and not succeed in the field they are working. Listening consists of paying attention to whomever is trying to communicate to you. Also one must try to interpret what they are trying to get across to you. I find that this skill may be tough, but once learned it is important to use it because it will be helpful for anyone in any kind of situation. As a kid it was tough since we really do not use our minds to comprehend what is being said. Instead we were selfish with what we wanted to go on that we did not listen to what was being said to us. This skill helps us truly to become an adult. WC: 166
ReplyDeleteAs we begin to end our childhood and transition into adult hood there are many life skills that we must learn. Some people learn these with ease, whereas others struggle a lot to learn some. The most important life skill to learn is time and money management. In high school we have had everything handed to us. Our parents remind us to do homework, wake us up for school or work, and pay all of the bills. As we enter a new stage of independence in our lives, we must learn these skills on our own. We must use our time wisely to complete all tasks that are given to us throughout the day. This means prioritizing which assignments at school or work are most important and completing them in that order before the deadline reaches. This also means using our time wisely, such as doing homework and studying instead of playing video games. We also need to use our time wisely to determine an appropriate bed time depending on the timing of tasks in the next day. Lastly we must manage our money wisely to ensure that all necessities are paid for before satisfying our wants.
ReplyDeleteW.C. 197
As I finish up my last year of high school, I notice one of the skills I have obtained is finding the right relationships with others. I’ve come to notice that not all of your friends will stay your friends throughout the years of highschool. I’ve also noticed that you will become friends with others that you wouldn’t expect to get along with. In my case, I have been lucky to have the same best friend since 3rd grade. I really think friendship doesn’t mean as much to people in today’s society. Therefore, I am glad to have such a good friend for so long. I also think having good friendships is key throughout high school, because most people are planning on moving out after high school. They might be planning to move out with friends after school and you need to know what friends you can live with throughout that next year, while keeping your sanity.
ReplyDeleteW.C. 157
ReplyDeleteI have developed many skills throughout high school, but one specifically I would like to point out is stress management. These days, standards are higher than they have ever been. The pressure to be perfect in anything you do is implied. I have learned that stressing out about every little thing will get me no one except from being tired and grumpy all day. Sometimes you just have to be okay with no being perfect and when it happens, much of the pressure will be lifted. Another skill I have acquired, is time management. Being active in school functions and holding a jobs is a pretty tough task to do. I always have to use my time well, with finishing homework or being on time for work. These are skills that will help me in the future, not just college but in my working field too.
WC- 146