Monday, October 23, 2017

Blog #1: Vivid Verbs Create Action Through Words

"You never really understand a person until your consider thing from his point of view--until you climb into his skin and walk around in it" (Lee 30).

Harper Lee's timeless advice given to us through the voice of Atticus Finch still rings true today.  In a world filled with diversity, let us consider things from your point of view.  Sure, everyone in this room knows your name, but we have no idea what your daily life and routine are like.  Tell us a little bit about your daily life.

Paint a vivid picture using strong action verbs.  In your response , CAPITALIZE 5 of your strongest action verbs.

Make sure your response is at least 175-200 words.  Include a word count with your response.

This blog is due Friday, October 27th.

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every morning, at 7 o’clock sharp, my mother enters my room to ROUSE me for the day ahead. I VAULT out of bed and rush to the bathroom in order to shower. After completing my cleansing ritual, I brush my teeth, put on deodorant and cologne, and leave the bathroom vacant for the next individual. I DEVOUR a delicious breakfast full of nutrients and vacate the house, and EMBARK on my trek to school. I arrive at the place of much dismay, school. SAUNTERING through the hallways, I notice the dread on students’ faces as they roam the halls in search of a reason to be tardy. I progress throughout the terrible school day and eventually depart. Everyone hears the sounds of engines roaring to a start and tires screeching from their parking spots as students DISEMBARK from the school for the day. Most kids unwind at their houses or with a friend, but I, on the other hand, advance to my place of employment to EXERT all of my energy in exchange for money. Finally, after the sun has set and the people retired to their beds, I make my final journey home in order to ENDURE my nightly slumber.
    W.C. 201

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ringing and buzzing in my ear, my phone’s alarm wakes me up at 6 am. Now it’s time to PREPARE myself for the dreadful school day ahead. I frantically roll over in bed and KILL the obnoxious ringing. After I check my social media, just as a boost to wake myself up, I stumble out of my warm and comfy bed to go wake my little brother who is soundly asleep in the next room over. We both sluggishly get up and go brush our teeth half way awake. As we both stumble back to our rooms to get dressed, we accidently wake our sister who is PERCHING in her bed with a scowl on her face as if we had awoken a beast. We madly SNATCH our things and SCURRY out the door to my car. Upon arriving to my car, we jump in as we see the bus cruise by our house. Panicking, we throw our stuff into the back seat and zoom off after the bus. Making it in just enough time for my brother to aboard the packed bus and then it’s back to sleep at home for me, until 7:50 am.
    W. C. 196

    ReplyDelete
  4. My alarm JOLTS me awake at 6:30 and I STAGGER over to shut it off before I return to my bed and wrap myself in my blanket. Ten minutes later, I find the motivation to get up and head downstairs. I STUMBLE into the garage to feed my cats, and CRINGE as the cold fall air hits me in the face. I fill my cats’ food bowls and hurry inside, pulling my coat around me. I pour myself some cereal for breakfast and either open mail or search through my phone while I eat. Afterwards, I come back upstairs. I brush my teeth, change into my clothes for school, and do my hair. By this time, I’m running late so my sister and I SCRAMBLE into the car and drive to school. I arrive, bracing myself for the cold trek into the school. I’m embraced by the warm air heading into the school. I let out a sigh and succumb to another day of school. I noncommittally move between my classes and when the final bell rings, I rush off to an extracurricular activity. When I finally come home late that night, I am eager to return to my bed.
    W.C. 201

    ReplyDelete

  5. Morning Routine

    My day starts out by my alarm clock BLARING off and me dismissing it multiple times. When I finally get up, I BREAK-NECK to the bathroom. I cleanse my face so that I feel like I have a fresh face to start my day and vigorously SCRUB my teeth. Then I STROLL back down stairs to my room and turn on jams. Listening music set my mood and attitude for the day. Then sit on my bed to PONDER about what I want to wear that day. Once I get dressed I appeal perfume on and sculpt my face. Of course then is my hair, but this is my least favorite thing to do because my hair has a mind of its own. Then I get shoes on and assemble my things for my day. Before leaving I say goodbye to everyone, and I especially can’t forget to say goodbye to my dog, Bruno. I make sure he is covered with him blanket before I leave for school. Lastly I try not to be late to school.

    wc1 179

    ReplyDelete
  6. My day begins with the slow and steady beep of my alarm clock as it starts soft and then rises to an annoying, loud volume. Typically, this doesn’t excite me as my younger brother usually POPS right out of bed and silences the disturbance. I have always ENVIED his ability to wake with ease as I usually remain in bed for another twenty minutes. This short and miserable time in my mornings has become nicknamed by other family members as my “wake up process.” But never fear. Give me those twenty minutes and I’m sure to be BOUNCING and HOPPING the rest of the day. Rushing around the house, I prepare for the day and leave for school at 7:53 sharp. My day at school is always filled with excitement and social activity. My main goal throughout the day is to return home with absolutely no homework. After school, I work at Slagel Family Meats/Farm with a team of workers who are all upbeat and positive. However, the best part of my day is the few final hours that I spend at home before I RETIRE the day for bed. It is here that my family enjoys being together and discussing the past day and our problems we encountered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My morning starts when my alarm goes off at 7:00 in the morning. then again at 7:10. and 7:20. and even through 7:30 and 7:45. I have five alarms scheduled on my phone for every week day. Luckily, it's a soothing tune and not an obnoxious sound. Procrastination, especially with sleep, has taught me how to wake up at 8 a.m and get to school at 7:50 a.m. I usually struggle in the morning and have to find creative ways to do everything at once. Pop tart goes in the toaster first, then brush teeth while putting on pants. You got to get creative with my lifestyle. After my daily race against the clock before school starts, I ZOOM to school. DART through the halls. YANK my locker door off the hinges. And carry the weight of the world in school supplies to American Government without being late. My brain thus far has been fast asleep and needs to wake up and FUNCTION. I manage to SURVIVE somehow. I drive home and do my homework. Which usually follows by dinner, then relaxation time (very important when you are me) and finish the day off with sleep. Only to repeat one dream later.
    WC:210

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6:00 AM rolls around much to my dismay. I try to MUFFLE the beeping of my alarm, but to no AVAIL. I crawl out of bed, STUMBLING to get dressed and out of my bedroom door. There in the cold kitchen, I slowly prepare myself breakfast as I begin to wake up. Brushing my hair and teeth is the easy part until it is time to ROUSE my brother from his slumber. He reluctantly gets up and goes about his daily routine, while I SCRAMBLE take care of my goats. By then it’s 7:35 and time to go. My and my brother speed off to school to endure a seven hour day, then I run back to my truck to race home and get to work. Feeding calves slowly, but surely, I eventually get done only to go home and take care of my goats for the second time. Checking twelve goat’s food and water is a very time consuming activity, but I enjoy it. Then back in the house to complete my many homework assignments and watch some of my favorite television shows. Finally, time to sleep and start another day.

    W.C. 194

    ReplyDelete
  10. At six am every morning my dad HOLLERS at my bed so I will hopefully get up. That doesn’t happen because I fall back asleep. After twenty minutes, I feel pain shooting up my side. To INVESTIGATE I open one eye to see what’s happening, I see that I am being POUNCED on by my nieces and nephews I quickly get out of bed. After I am finished getting dressed I make my way into the kitchen in hopes that my family has left me more than just the scraps of breakfast that they have most likely DEVOURED. As expected there is nothing truly left. Instead of breakfast I get my nephews into my truck to drop them off at daycare. Then make my way to school where I spend most of the day at. During activity period I leave school to go pick up my nephews and niece from daycare. I load them into my truck and RECEDED back to the school to pick up my sister to head for home before I have to go to work or get ready for dance practice. When I get home I finish my homework and go to bed.

    W.C. 199

    ReplyDelete
  11. At 6:00 AM in the morning my alarms clock sounds and I SMACK the snooze button to get a view more moments of sleep. I never want to get out of bed, so my other five alarms go off after that, and I snooze each one. I lay there PONDERING my day before I have to get up. Eventually I STUMBLE out of my bed and jump into the shower. I DART from the bathroom and PEERED at the time. I SCURRY as fast as I can to get ready so I have a little time to DEVOUR my breakfast. I leave for school at 7:57 every more and rush to school to get to class on time. Usually every morning I make it on time, but I am usually very frazzled. I sit through my classes all day dreading my work that await me later on. After school is over, I RUSH to my jobs and arrive home around 6-7 and eat a little supper before the process begins all over again.

    W.C. 175

    ReplyDelete
  12. My phone BUZZES as i receive a call from my boyfriend, Chase. I answer the call and GRIPE toward him that I still want to sleep. Finally, after about ten minutes I get out of bed and DRAG myself down the stairs. I start the shower and brush my teeth. I usually turn the shower temperature all the way hot, so the water’s always SCOLDING when i hop in the shower. I then come upstairs and put on what i call comfy clothes, but only for the process of brushing my hair. I become FURIOUS as soon as the brush hits my hair. Then after about ten minutes of that I hurry to get dressed and then jolt downstairs to make my lunch. However, I can’t forget my juice so i taunt my brother until he gets it ready for me. This usually ends in a brawl and then we finally dart out of the house, since we’re running about five minutes late everyday. I then arrive to school and my friends and I are usually bumpin’ until we crawl out of our cars, and into the school. I await until the last bell rings. When it finally comes i scurry to an extracurricular activity. After, I finally then can finish my day relaxing in my bed.
    W.C. 217

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every morning, before a flicker of light is in the sky, my phone alarm attempts to lull me out of my sleep for the first time at 6 o’clock. Routinely, my arm LAUNCHES out from beneath the covers to snooze the screeching sound for 15 more minutes. Rapidly I plunge back into the dreams I CONJURED up for the night, only to be JERKED back to reality by the same ear bleeding sound of my alarm. Reluctantly I unwind the cocoon of covers enveloping me, which exposes my warm body to the brisk air in my room. Now I begin to become coherent to my surroundings, and SHUFFLE to the restroom to prepare myself for the extraneous day ahead. Minimum effort is exerted into my morning beauty habits in order to save energy for more important tasks later on in the day. I descend down the many stairs into the sun-lit kitchen to collect my necessities for school. I SNATCH a quick breakfast from the lazy-susan and a bottle of refreshing water to quench my thirst. I bustle out the garage door and load up in my car to begin my 24 minute trek to school.

    W.C. 196

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear the noise of music RING throughout my head. I groggily open my eyes to find my phone alarm going off. I quickly turn off the alarm and doze off once again. I waken to the sound of my mother’s SHRIEKS telling me to get up. I see the alarm clock, 7:10 usually. I tend to unintentionally make a morning routine that just kind of sticks the whole year . I roll out of bed, grab my clothes, and head to the shower. I quickly bathe and STUMBLE downstairs for some delicious chow. Cereal or some toast is usually my main breakfast diet. I SHOVEL the food down my gullet. I tend to be done with all my morning hygienic processes (showering,brushing my teeth, applying deodorant,etc.) around 7:40. With my remaining time, I usually watch whatever show I’m into at the moment. I then watch for too long and leave home at around 8:05. I CHARGE at great speeds to school and show up to first block barely on time. WC 175

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every morning I AROUSE from my deep slumber with one goal in my mind. Get through the day. After arousing, I IMMERSE myself in the fluids that come from the shower head. This process wakes me up in the morning, it is very essential for that and the hygienic process of course. I then proceed to STUFF food down my throat as this essential for survival. After eating, I proceed to my ICE job, which is a nice change of pace from the normal school day. At 11:10, I BULLDOZE my way into this educational institution. I sit through two courses, which I suppose are manageable and not overwhelming. After TREKKING through the school day, I head to Cross Country practice, which is usually pain, suffering, and terror all mixed into one. After enduring the practice, I head home and again STUFF food down my throat and once again IMMERSE myself in fluids. After doing this, I head to my 2nd place of employment and endure that. At 9 PM, I finally head home and recover from the day. I am currently stuck in this cycle for what seems like an eternity.

    WC: 193

    ReplyDelete
  16. It’s seven in the morning and I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock going off . I slowly STUMBLE out of my bed. I head to my closet to pick out my outfit for the day. After I POP on my clothes I walk down the hallway to the bathroom. In the bathroom I wash my face and brush my teeth SQUEAKY clean. I then style my hair and apply my makeup. I yell for my little sister to come to the bathroom. When she arrives I style her hair for her school day. After I’m done in the bathroom I head downstairs for breakfast. I throw some oatmeal into the microwave and get my bookbag organized for school. I respond to the BEEPING microwave and retrieve my oatmeal. I sit down at the kitchen table and SCARF down my breakfast. By the time I’m down with breakfast it’s around eight o’clock and time for me to go. But before I head out the door I realize that I forgot to make my lunch. I grab my lunch box and whip some food inside of it. I then SCRAMBLE to my car and drive to school.

    Word Count: 198

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is dead silent for the remaining seconds of which I am SAWING LOGS. The peace is broken by the bang of the door opening, my heart CEASING to beat due to the loud noise of my mother coming in to wake me up at 6:00 sharp. “Wake up son, time to start the day,” she says in a convincing way, but those words don’t help as I still SULK to bathroom and shower. After the refreshing shower I’m ALERT finally to the surroundings. To my surprise I am then pounced on by the dog for no reason. I shut the door to my room and start to BROWSE on all forms of social media and then I get dressed. When I finish getting dressed my breakfast is already made, waiting to be eaten. After I finish eating, I go to complete the rest of my morning ritual. I’m then out of the house by 7:30 to head to school. I get there early to get all the coursework prepared for class. After school I usually go to work, which I do not get off until 7:00. Once I get home I pass out on my bed. WC: 200

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every morning at seven o’clock in the morning, the EAR-PIERCING CRY of my alarm clocks awakes me from my deep sleep. The whiff of French vanilla coffee is able to liven me up and somehow I am able to drag my NUMB body out of the cozy bed. Once I am finally up and alert I jump into the steaming hot shower. I lather up my hair with shampoo and conditioner. After I rinse out the suds, I step out in the frigid bathroom and slip into my attire for the day. With my soaking wet hair, I stroll into the kitchen to fetch myself a SCALDING cup of coffee. As I linger for my hair to dry, I sip on my throat burning coffee and PAMPER my snoozy cat. Once my hair is completely dry, I style it up, nice and pretty for the TORTUROUS day ahead. Now the clock hits 8:03, which means I should’ve left five minutes ago. My brother and I pile into our car and dart to school. When we arrive to the parking lot and begin to march into school, we try to prepare ourselves for the day ahead of us.

    Word Count: 197

    ReplyDelete
  20. At six in the morning an obnoxious ringing interrupts my sleep. The alarm DEMANDS my attention. My eyes groggily FLICKER open as I stretch my arm to the source of the noise. I silence the alarm and roll out of bed leaving my blankets of warmth behind. I ponder on the outfit I want to wear for the day. I quickly change, once I decide on my outfit. I brush my hair, making myself look presentable then I apply makeup. After that I fly my way to the kitchen SCAVENGING for a scrumptious breakfast. After devouring my breakfast, I stroll to the bathroom to brush my teeth until they sparkle. I bolt to the front door to slip on one of my stylish pairs of shoes. I scurry outside to my bus stop, alerted by the brisk fall morning air greeting me, causing me to shiver. When the bus rolls to it’s stop, I climb on the bus and PLOP down in an open seat far away from the annoying loud children. Once at school, I MANEUVER around the crowded hallway. I blankly stare at the clock as the minutes tick by in slow motion.
    WC: 195

    ReplyDelete